2007年12月6日木曜日

Homework#4

Today we talked about time in different societies and the English words associated with them. For homework, answer the following question:The English language has many proverbs and sayings about time.



1. Time is money.

I often hear this proverb. It is used in Japan, and is expressed " 時は金なり" in Japan. the meaning of this proverb is "time is same as money", but I think that time is more important than money. Because present time spend just now. When I belonged to brass band club in junior high school, it was hard for me to train every day, but it became the precious memories now.

2.A stitch in time saves nine.

I didn't know this proverb. I understood that the meaning of the proverb was "If you finish early anything, you will not have a problem later." When I regreted the resul of exam in school, I often said the following sentence. If I had studyed more, my exam would have been good.

3.There's no time like the present.

I thought that this proverb is almost same as "A stitch in the saves time." The meaning of this proverb is "an opportunity perfect now. " Time does not return, so I think that it should spend carefully.

4. Fashionable late.

I did not think that this proverb was connected with time. I think that this proverb is discovered in America. The meaning of this proverb is had better be late a little when the person comes for American home party. But Japanese people like tidy time.

Please explain what you think are the meanings of each of the 4 expressions.

2 件のコメント:

ronron さんのコメント...

My father also use "time is money".
So I like this proverb very much and I'm going to teach my children when I have babies.

Carrie さんのコメント...

You said that time is more important that money. But I think that time is more easy to waste than money. We are wasting of time without notice but we don't waste of money without notice. I think we don't cherish our time more than money. So this proverb exist.